The Internet Archive
…is a great place to find lots of free materials to help with the study of English – https://archive.org/
Reading and Listening
Below are specific instructions to download FREE online audio books as well as the text versions, so that a student can read along while they listen. This is a very powerful learning technique.
To get both audio and digital text versions of a book start at https://librivox.org
Example: Search for Tom Sawyer and you find the book located at https://librivox.org/tom-sawyer-by-mark-twain/ where you can download the Audio file and you will see a link that says “Online Text.” When you click the Online Text link you will be taken to a page on a different website – in this case http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/74 where you will be able to download the digital book.
- http://video.pbs.org/programs/ – many videos on all kinds of subject matter – FREE
- http://www.pbs.org/nova/ – is one of the best sites for science related videos – FREE
- http://www.netflix.com – 30 days free then $8. per month – streaming tv shows and movies
- http://www.hulu.com/ – some free movies and tv shows
- http://www.hulu.com/plus – 30 days free then $8. per month – streaming tv shows and movies
- https://order.hbonow.com – 30 days free then $15. per month – tv shows and movies + HBO shows
- http://www.amazon.com – streaming tv shows and videos that can be rented one at a time
- http://www.amazon.com/prime – 30 days free then $99. per year which includes:
- Unlimited streaming tv shows and movies
- FREE Two-Day shipping from Amazon
- Unlimited music streaming
- Free unlimited photo storage
- 30-minute early access to select Amazon Lightning Deals and MyHabit.com events
- 800,000 ebooks available to download FREE
- https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html Tor Browser Bundle a special setup of the Firefox browser that will allow the user to connect to any site from any country.
- http://www.mey2l.com – a really wonderful esl site that offers many free videos, vocabulary and grammar guides, movie vocabulary, seminars and many many extras++:+)
This entire page is available as a pdf: